Monday, February 8, 2010

my favourite korean

There are a lot of Korean restaurants in Berlin.
One of my favourites is Arirang in Wedding.
The food is great, not too 'germanized' and the price is pretty cheap.
I went there with two friends last weekend.

I wish I knew the Korean name of this dish.
It's a marinated belly of pork grill plate, made for two persons.
There were three of us and we still had difficulty finishing it...

They have other variations of grill plate and also other dishes such as tangsuyuk and the mostly-known dolsot bibimbap (in Germany only known as 'bibimbap'). They always serve the dishes with a set of side dishes shown on the picture above. Which one you get with which dish is never clear to me, though...

My favourite is the sweet-salty potatoes. I'm desperately looking for the recipe but it's rather hard while not knowing the name. Can anyone help?

[edit]
I think I found a recipe for the potatoes side dish via Zofona - I'll need to try this out!

Glazed potatoes (Gamja Jorim)

Ingredients:
1 medium sized potato
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 tablespoon light corn syrup
60 ml water

Peel the potato and cut it into small pieces (preferably the same size). Stir-fry the potato pieces in the oil till they get a little brown. Add the water, soy sauce and corn syrup and cook everything on a high fire until the potato is done and glazed in the mixture of soy sauce and corn syrup. Turn the potatoes frequently otherwise the glaze will not fully cover all the potatoes and your side dish might get burned.

If necessary you can add some boiling water when the pan dries out before the potato is fully cooked.

No comments:

Post a Comment